Well, I had a productive day in the cooking department! I go back to work tomorrow after a 2-week break, so I wanted something fun for dinner. Sooo.. taco salad!
You will need:
- Romaine lettuce (1 head)
- 1 can black beans
- Taco seasoning (home made - see below)
- 1 large tomato - diced
- 1/2 white onion - chopped
- 1 avocado - cut into small pieces
- 1 lime
- Tortilla chips (I use Neal Brothers - organic blue tortilla chips + flax seeds)
1. Drain half of the liquid from the can of black beans, then add them into a small pot with 1/3 cup of water and your taco seasoning
**Your taco seasoning consists of these simple spices (thanks for the tip, Mom!)
1 tbsp chili powder, 1/2 tbsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder
2. Let the beans warm on medium for about 3-5 minutes, then take them off the burner and let them cool a bit while you prepare your veg.
3. Tear your romaine into smaller pieces, add your tomato and onion and toss together
4. Add your avocado and then squeeze lime juice over top of them so it doesn’t brown - then toss with the rest of the salad, then add the black beans and do the same - you can add a little more of the juice on top for flavour
5. Top the salad with tortilla chips
That’s it! Sorry, no picture. Aaaand, before I knew it, the entire bowl was gone! It makes me very happy when my boyfriend mows down on my vegan dishes. He ate three bowls of it! It tastes like you’re eating tacos, just no ground beef (or veggie ground round), and no excessive amounts of sodium in your taco seasoning.. ah, its beautiful knowing exactly what is going into your body.